It seems like each week we’re seeing a new study that sings the praises of taking time for yourself. Each expert envisions using this time differently, but the results appear to be the same. Whether you meditate in the morning or pause for a tea break at work, taking a few moments to focus on yourself each day can make you more productive, happier and healthier.
This is particularly relevant because this month our focus is Loving Kindness. As we’ve mentioned before, in order to be fully able to show kindness and compassion to others, you must love yourself first. It’s like the instructions you receive when you fly on an airplane. In case of emergency, put the oxygen mask on yourself first, then help other passengers.
The first step in applying your personal oxygen mask is beginning to take these moments for yourself. For many of us, the thought of adding one more thing to the to-do list is daunting, but the good news is, you can start small. There’s no rule that says you have to take a 30-minute break. You can start with 5-minute moments, and work up to adding more opportunities for balance throughout the day.
Try a few of these “Me Time Moments” or add your suggestions for what you do to relax and refocus on yourself during a busy day in the comments below!
• In the shower each morning, think about an experience from the past week and what it taught you. Then think about how could you use what you learned in the day ahead.
• As your breakfast is cooking, do sun salutations, or another full body stretch to become energized for the day ahead.
• As you are putting on make up, think about someone you love very much and how it feels. Then, take these feelings of love and offer them to yourself, as if you were a stranger. Reflect on how this self-expression of love makes you feel.
• While you are driving to work, put on some soothing music, take 3 deep breaths and think about the day ahead. Ask yourself, “If I was brave, what would I do today?” Select a particular situation and plan how you would like to use more of your Courage today.
• Before entering work or any stressful situation, dab some Sensory Oil on your pulse points. Inhale deeply, and say the affirmation of your choice to link it with the fragrance of your Intention. Later, when you need to be reminded of the feelings of your Intention, reapply the oil.
• Take a break during the day to brew a cup of tea. As it steeps, take 3 deep breaths, and think about a time you were inspired. Write down everything you remember about the moment.
• Before bed, turn off your television, computer and phone 5 minutes earlier than usual. Mist your pillow lightly with Linen Spray and inhale deeply. Think about the events of the day, and choose 3 things that happened for which you are thankful. Write them down on a piece of paper or in a journal to reflect on later.